The famous cliche sites, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away” but is it really true? Why an apple? Out of a multitude of existing fruits here on earth, why have they chosen apples? What health benefits does it contribute that make it special?
Apples are readily available all-year round and can be hailed as the most common fruit. Apples are consumed by most of us, right? I bet every one of us had an apple-fix sometime. Aside from its availability, it is also a fruit that has a wide array of health benefits.
Apples are known to have ample amounts of antioxidants and phytonutrients that can help prevent certain diseases. Examples of these nutrients are:
- Vitamin C-strengthens our immune system
- B-complex vitamins (Riboflavin, thiamin, and Vitamin B-6)- key nutrients for the maintenance of the circulatory and nervous systems
- Dietary fiber-helps prevent the occurrence of certain diseases as well as avoids bad cholesterol in your blood to rise
- Phytonutrients-protects the body from the detrimental effects of free radials
- Minerals like calcium, potassium and phosphorus
Numerous researches suggest that apples are one of the best fruits to be added our daily food intake.
Here are some of the benefits that can potentially be provided by apples:
- Improve neurological health-apples contain “quercetin” which reduces cellular death caused by oxidation and inflammation of neurons
- Prevent Dementia-apples help protect our neurons therefore it prevents neurodegenerative disorders like Alzheimer’s Disease
- Reduce your risk of Stroke-intake of apple decreases the risk of thrombotic stroke
- Lower levels of cholesterol-lessens bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol
- Reduce the risk of diabetes-according to a study, people who eat apples reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes
- Ward off breast cancer
In every bite that we take, there explodes a wide selection of benefits that apples have. It is a fruit that was concocted to be an epitome of satisfaction and benefits. So, we should go forth and grab an apple to eat!